Sunday, July 11, 2010

Debate Camp

Ever since I can remember, talking was something I've always done a lot of. At the beginning of freshman year, I ventured into a new kind of talking. Debate team not only made me a better public speaker, but made me more confident and more willing to put myself "out there."

After having a successful first year on my school's debate team, I wanted to take things to the next level and really improve my debate skills. Debate camp seemed like the next step.

I do an event called Public Forum which is an event in which two people compete against another two people convincing the judge to vote for or against a certain resolution. My partner, Brendan, and I (along with others from my school) attended National Debate Forum where we hoped that with the help of experienced instructors, we could become more competitive on the national circuit. NDF was held at Nova Southeastern University within one of the dorms.

For the past two weeks, from 8:45 in the morning until 9:00 at night, Brendan and I took part in note-taking drilling, cross-examination drills and case-writing drills. Although 12 hours seems like a long time to spend at camp for a full two weeks, I wanted the weeks to elongate into months with the fun I had while learning. Not only was I taught by some of the best debaters in the country, but I was surrounded by other extremely talented debaters who also taught me a lot.

I also met a lot of friends that I am anxious to see when tournaments begin in the fall. (The picture above is my friend, Sahil, and I while we wait for our lecture about "Frameworks" during camp. Us "serious" debaters also have a silly side, which Sahil and I clearly display while playing with the effects on a Mac computer.)

Debate camp not only increased my skill level, but enabled me to learn more, become for confident and of course meet a ton of new friends from across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment